Hamburger Noodle Creamy Casserole
- 2 bunches scallions, trimmed
- 1/2 pound 90% lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 8-ounce cans tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 6 ounces no-yolk whole-wheat egg noodles
- 1 cup Hiland Dairy Cottage Cheese
- 1 cup Hiland Dairy Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup Hiland Dairy Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coat a 2-quart, or 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Put large pot of water on to boil.
- Separate white and green parts of scallions; slice thinly and reserve separately.
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet, add oil and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add quinoa, garlic and reserved white scallions.
- Cook while stirring, until the scallions soften, 5-7 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, water and cooked beef; bring to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes until the quinoa is tender and the sauce is thickened. Season with half of salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles until just tender, 6-8 minutes or according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold water.
- Puree cottage cheese in food processor until smooth.
- Transfer to a medium bowl; fold in sour cream and the ¾ of the reserved green scallions.
- Season with remaining salt and pepper.
- Spread half of the noodles in the prepared baking dish.
- Top with half the cottage cheese mixture and half of the meat sauce.
- Repeat with remaining noodles, cottage cheese mixture and meat sauce.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake until bubbly, 30-40 minutes.
- Top with remaining green scallions and let stand 10 minutes before serving.